History of the Bel Air

The Bel-Air Drive-In was opened as a single screen, with a car capacity for 1,800. It eventually became a four screen ozoner with a capacity of 3,000 cars. No time line given for the transition. Listed as opening on August 25, 1950, and closed in 1986. Operated by Community Theatres. The theatre had a model train, for kids to ride.

Contributed by Chuck/Cinema Treasures

 

The Bel Air Luxury Cinema is located on the site of the former Bel-Air Drive-In in Detroit and is Detroit’s only operating first run movie theatre. The Cinema opened April 22, 1988 by AMC.  In 2016, the Cinema was completely renovated with all new luxury high back rockers, recliners, glittery decor throughout, and a customer chandelier.

https://www.metrotimes.com/the-scene/archives/2016/12/07/detroits-only-first-run-movie-theater-got-remodeled